Fight fruit flies? You’re not the only one who suffers from those annoying rotten critters. Fruit flies are one of the biggest annoyances in the house. Fruit is of course tasty and healthy, and it is nice to put your fruit in a beautiful fruit bowl and place it on the kitchen counter or on the dining table. Do not do this! That is the biggest cause of fruit flies in the house. It starts with a few, but before you know it your whole house will be covered. And if you don’t do anything about it, you won’t get rid of it. Don’t worry, because we have listed the best tips for you on how to prevent fruit flies and how to combat them. Get well soon!
Why are you always dealing with more than one fruit fly?
Female fruit flies lay their eggs on the surface or in fruit that is overripe or rotten. Each female fly can lay up to 500 eggs at a time, so it’s important to take action as soon as you see the first fruit fly. After hatching, the larva eats from their environment (like a ripe banana) for a few days before developing into a fully formed fruit fly. In general, their life cycle is quite fast – fruit flies cannot mate until two days after they reach adulthood – which means you need to get started quickly with fruit flies control.
Prevent fruit flies
Prevention is always better than cure, which is absolutely also the case when it comes to fighting fruit flies. As soon as you see one, you are actually already too late, because there are always more than one. Below are the best tips to prevent fruit flies:
- Discard overripe fruit. Not only because they are less fresh and delicious, but mainly because it is the main cause of fruit flies;
- Keep fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator. It might look nice and cheerful, such a large fruit bowl with bananas, apples, pears, peaches and nectarines. Do you want to prevent fruit flies? Then don’t do this;
- It is possible that the fruit flies come from the supermarket or market with the purchased fruit and vegetables. That is why it is wise to wash all products well before you put them down somewhere;
- Remove the waste regularly. Use the large trash can for non-food products and a smaller trash can for food scraps. And regularly throw away the small bag with food scraps;
- Do not leave food scraps on the dining table or counter in the kitchen;
- Did you spill somewhere? A piece of fruit or juice? Then clean it immediately. These are also great attractors of fruit flies.
Make fruit fly trap
It is important to follow the tips above to prevent fruit flies. But of course we also know that those annoying critters can somehow get into your house and have reproduced in no time. Super annoying, but luckily you can do something about it. You can easily make a trap with which you can catch the fruit flies. We have listed the best DIY fruit fly traps for you that really work!
1. Apple cider vinegar and plastic wrap
Apple cider vinegar attracts fruit flies. This makes it the perfect lure to catch them.
- Pour a little apple cider vinegar into a glass or plastic cup. This does not have to be very much, 1-2 centimeters is sufficient.
- Cover the opening with plastic wrap. Make sure the edges are closed so that the fruit flies cannot escape. You could secure it with a rubber band or elastic to be on the safe side.
- Then poke a few small holes in the plastic wrap with a sharp toothpick so that the fruit flies can enter. So they can get through the holes inside the glass or cup, but they cannot escape through those same holes.
- Place the trap in a place where you suffer from fruit flies. You can often see after a day that you have caught a lot of fruit flies. You can leave this trap for at least a week. Do you still have a lot of trouble after that week? Then refresh the trap with new apple cider vinegar.
What do you need?
Watch the video below to see how the fruit flies are caught with this trap.
2. A paper funnel, vinegar and old fruit
If you have overripe or rotten fruit, you can also use that to make the fruit fly trap.
- Put a little vinegar and a piece of very overripe or rotten fruit in a large transparent glass or jar;
- Then roll a piece of paper into a funnel shape and insert it into the glass or jar, with the narrow opening facing down. The smell of overripe or rotten fruit and vinegar will help lure the fruit flies into the mixture, while the funnel will make it difficult for them to escape from the trap.
The following shows how this funnel trap works.
3. Vinegar and dish soap
The first trap with apple cider vinegar and plastic wrap often works best for catching fruit fly flies. Do you notice that it does not work for you? Then you could also try a trap with vinegar and dish soap.
- Put a little vinegar in a wide bowl and leave it uncovered;
- Add three drops of dish soap there. The soap cuts the surface tension of the vinegar so that the flies will sink and drown.
4. Old wine or beer
Like vinegar, fruit flies also like the smell of wine and beer. Use an open wine bottle or bottle of beer with a thin layer of wine or beer without a cap. The narrow neck keeps the flies trapped. You could also add a few drops of dish soap.
5. Buy fruit fly trap
If you don’t feel like or don’t have the time to make your own trap for fighting fruit flies, you could also buy a ready-made trap at the supermarket. We have listed a number of these traps for you below. Below you can see the popular HGX fruit fly trap that is available at Albert Heijn for € 5.95. This trap contains special fruit fly trap liquid with which the fruit flies can be lured. You can use it four times, then you can easily refill it. Click here to buy it.